What you need to know about cleaning and working in the cleaning industry. This will help you decide if cleaning is for you.
1) What is a custodial service provider (janitor)?
- Janitorial or custodial work focuses on the cleaning of surfaces and objects within a building. Daily use of any facility means that dust, litter, and grit are brought in or generated within a structure and make surfaces unsightly and subject to wear. Often unhealthy substances such as dust, food garbage, and drink spills need to be removed. Unsafe floor conditions need to be corrected. Rest rooms, in daily use, need cleaning and disinfecting to prevent microbial growth.
- Providing this necessary service requires trained and skilled people working in the facility being cleaned. Custodial cleaning is active physical work that is best delivered by healthy people having both a service mentality and the ability to attend to details.
- While facility cleaning will never be considered a glamourous occupation, few other services are so basic and essential to the health and well-being of building occupants and the preservation of interior surfaces such as floor coverings, a major investment.
2) Basic reasons to consider joining the professional cleaners at Krafft Cleaning Service for your source of extra income.
- Facility cleaning is an essential service that provides steady employment for our cleaners.
- Our training and your implementation of it will place you in the top 5% of building service providers and you will deserve better wages.
- Vacation and holiday pay are there for those who stay on the job.
- Your work involves trust and responsibility. This provides a personal sense of fulfillment.
- You are trained in self-management techniques that reduce stress and apprehension. Your work does not come home with you.
- Cleaning offers job satisfaction. When you are done, the results of your efforts are obvious. You always know when you have made a difference.
- We offer assignments close to your home and flexible work hours that fit your needs.
- You are given state-of-the-art supplies and equipment.
- You will work to a high and well-defined cleaning standard unique in the industry.
- We are a family owned business with a family atmosphere.
- Our management is knowledgeable and accessible.
- We are totally focused on providing quality service.
3) Why do we start people at part-time?
- Cleaning is demanding work involving focusing on details and showing attentiveness to outcomes. Long periods of intense mental and physical work are tiring, and custodians who are exhausted don't do quality work, don't enjoy what they do, and often quit the job after only a very short time. Starting people with fewer hours prevents overwork and increases their chances of success.
- Much of our work is done in the early evening. Working long hours late into the night interferes with normal sleep patterns, and the lack of proper rest is unhealthy and reduces energy needed for caring for the next day’s responsibilities.
- Contract cleaning is time-sensitive. Production rates are pre-established and held to by constant action on the custodian’s part. Not everyone can sustain the fast and steady pace needed for hours at a time.
- We will consider extending your hours of employment only after you have become experienced and effective on the job. You need to enjoy what you are doing.
4) What you must bring to the work. Please read and consider carefully.
- First off, you must be free to work during the hours (usually early evening) when the facility is free to be serviced.
- You need a reliable means of getting to work and moving between job sites, if required. Our clients expect that we will hire only those who can and will show up every night to care for their responsibilities.
- You must be able to focus your attention and efforts for several hours at a time without distraction. That means no texting, talking on cell phones, or wandering around listening to MP3s.
- You must be attentive to details. You must find soiling and remove it. You must be willing to learn the essential skills of the trade in order to succeed.
- You must be self-disciplined. Cleaning fails when the custodian either skips the indicated tasks or does an incomplete job.
- You must be willing to be self-managed. This means you are able to make decisions and execute those choices without being managed constantly by others.
- Your physical health must be good. If you can’t move without pain, have a hard time breathing, have a disabling heart condition, find it hurts to stand up for more than ten minutes, or have poor eyesight, you cannot do the work well. We don’t want you to be suffering or getting injured, and cleaning is constant physical work, no way around it.
- Most importantly, you should have your life under your control. An out-of-control life means you are constantly distracted by family crises and the actions of others around you who probably don't care if you succeed or fail at your work. Make certain those close to you are in harmony with your choice to be a professional cleaner.
- Closely connected to this is the requirement that you be free from drug and alcohol dependency. Our clients expect that any service personel we place in their facilities will be acting with sound minds and good judgment.
- Finally, even before calling us, you need to be willing to overcome the commonly-held belief that cleaning is simple-minded work that anyone can do. We have been successful in this business for almost 50 years because we understand that cleaning is a skilled and demanding profession that must be learned. If you believe that, you will fit right into our company culture. We can train anyone who is willing to be a good cleaner to be an exceptional cleaner, but that person first must know that training is essential, and he or she must be willing to learn the trade and take pride in what they do.
Are you still with us?
We would like to meet with you and give you the information you need to make certain your decision to learn and work with us is a sound one. You need to be comfortable with us and we with you.